Is there a plant-based collagen?
What is collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It is a vital component of muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones as well as hair, skin and nails.
Our bodies naturally produce collagen by combining amino acids from the protein-rich foods we consume. So, diet is important!
As we age, we produce less collagen. This contributes to a loss of skin elasticity, joint pain, reduced flexibility and decreased muscle mass and strength.
The marketing for collagen products claims they can improve the skin, ease joint pain, fend off muscle wasting and even improve heart health. However, the clinical research into their effectiveness is lacking; it's unclear if collagen which has been ingested can even be absorbed into the bloodstream.
But fear not, remember that our bodies naturally synthesise collagen, if given the proper tools… Read on!
Boosting collagen with a plant-based diet
While a plant-based diet cannot directly provide collagen, the right choice of foods can promote the body's ability to produce collagen.
- Eat protein-rich foods - for Vegans this means lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, wild rice, pistachios, almonds, chia seeds, broccoli, asparagus…
- Eat foods high in beta-carotene - such as purple carrots and green leafy veg.
- Eat berries and citrus fruits high in Vitamin C which plays a major role in the production of pro-collagen, the body’s precursor to collagen.
- Avoid sugar and refined carbs which can damage collagen.
- Eat anti-oxidant rich foods to reduce inflammation and maintain collagen
Don't underestimate the importance of sleep
It’s no secret that your body regenerates at night, and this includes the production of collagen. Current evidence suggests the ideal amount of sleep for most adults is between 7-9 hours.
Boosting collagen with Indi
Sometimes a variety of foods is hard to get consistently from your diet. And that’s where Indi comes in.
Indi Rest is a powerful blend of naturally sedative foods, plant extracts and adaptogens which work to ease anxiety and help you drift off into a deep and restful sleep.
Indi Body contains Vit C, antioxydants and beta-carotene.
Learn more about the range here.